While walking across the street to my car I saw a empty, discarded box of Walker’s shortbread cookies. And the craving hit me. Like that. Inspired by garbage!
I went home, threw some butter on the counter, and then realizing it was getting pretty late had to throw the butter back into the fridge. Attempt two occurred the next day, this time with buttery success.
I’ve tried to grow lavender in the past. Sadly and unsurprisingly, it either never grew, or grown plants would wither away and die. So, next best thing, culinary lavender bought in bulk from the local natural food store. My rosemary is a different story. It’s the one plant that has survived my black thumb, bless it’s fragrant, piney, herby heart. And it always forgives me a little bit of pruning, especially in a good cause such as the incorporation into cookies.
If you’re worried about the lavender making the cookies taste too “soapy,” decrease the amount of lavender by half. In some lemon lavender cookies I made a while back I was a bit overzealous with the lavender, and while some people liked the flavor, it was even too much for me.
Rosemary Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, lavender, and rosemary in a bowl.
- Blend together butter, honey, and confectioners sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed. Add flour mixture and mix until dough resembles coarse butter lumps. Gently knead into a ball of dough and move to a lightly floured surface. Knead until the dough comes together. Divide.
- Roll out the dough into a 6 inch circle on top of parchment paper to prevent sticking. Cut into 8 wedges and separate so pieces are not touching. If desired, press in additional rosemary and lavender into top of cookies. Sprinkle with a 1/2 a tablespoon of white sugar. Scores dough by pricking with fork.
- Bake shortbread in middle of oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. When done, move to a rack and cool 5 minutes. Bake the other round of shortbread with the remaining dough
Optional: You can bake the round and cut the cookies after they have been removed from the oven.