I really do love meat, but there are dishes like this avocado, tomato, mozzarella, and red onion salad that would turn me vegetarian like that if only it were nutritionally feasible for me to subsist primarily on this salad.
I’m not sure how this salad came about in my head, but I’m sure it was a combination of wanting to eat avocado in everything to trolling around online for recipes. Overall, this is a really easy, really delicious salad that will punctuate any meal with exclamation points of joy and delight with minimal preparation required. My kind of meal! I have to make smaller portions of this when it’s just me and my boyfriend eating it, for fear that we will eat it all in one sitting, and as healthy as the fresh vegetables are, there’s still half a pound of cheese floating around in this bad boy.
The main “secret” to this recipe is freshness of ingredients, and yes, the freshest, softest mozzarella you can find is absolutely essential. I once made this dish with a block of mozzarella that had probably been frozen or on the store shelves for ages, and it just wasn’t the same. You don’t need any really fancy cheese, though. I used Trader Joe’s store brand mozzarella ball, which, for $2.79, was a great all around for my purposes.
Obviously, fresh, ripe avocados and tomatoes will only enhance the flavor of this salad. Make sure the avocado gives slightly through the skin when you push on it, and that those tomatoes are fragrant and ripe. This would be a perfect side dish for a summer picnic or a quick lunch. Crispy and tangy red onions balance it out, and the lime juice and vinaigrette meld together the flavors.
- 2 ripe avocados cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 ripe tomatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette (I like Trader Joe’s fat free brand)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Cube the mozzarella, tomatoes, and avocados. Slice the red onions. Toss ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, vinaigrette, and fresh cracked black pepper (to taste) to the bowl and gently toss the ingredients.
- Refrigerate and let marinate for about 30 minutes and it’s ready to serve!