Some people love brownies, but I love blondies.
And the love grows infinite when you discover that they’re also insanely easy to make. Hit by a craving while I’m–I don’t know, carving a chicken, washing dishes, wrassling my cats–I can whip up a batch in two shakes of a rack of lamb’s tail and about 30 minutes later there’s a warm batch of gooey goodness on my counter, which I always intend to share but never really get to because theyr’e so good they’re seemingly gone before the pan even cools.
I’ve made these mostly with M&Ms because (a) they’re on hand and (b) colors, whee! But my last batch I made with mini chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, and oh, it is a fine thing that will gladden your soul.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips/m&ms/butterscotch chips/whatever you think will go with the blondies
- Oil and flour an 8×8 pan
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add salt and flour stir in flour. Mix in the 1/2 cup of the mixings, be they chocolate chips or nuts or whatever
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle. Don’t overbake them–the blondies will continue to cook a little more when you remove them from the oven, and even if they don’t cook through so entirely, who’s gonna complain about a gooey one? Not I.